Waterfowler.net interactive duck hunting talk forums provided for all
duck and goose hunters to exchange tips, ideas and other related information
for the sport of waterfowling. Please keep all the information clean and tasteful.

Waterfowl Taxidermy - Artistic Compositions by Shane Smith

Click Here for Waterfowler.net Duck Stickers
Waterfowler.net Forums

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Waterfowler.net Forums   » The Pit   » Ring Neck Duck Recipe

Author Topic: Ring Neck Duck Recipe
Nukem
Member # 25

Member Rated:
posted November 10, 2013 01:04 PM      Profile for Nukem   Email Nukem   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have a couple of Ring Neck Ducks to cook, any cooking tips?

--------------------
Basterd!!! Ver are Ze birds?

Posts: 2488 | From: All Over | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
duktalkr
Member # 106

Member Rated:
posted November 10, 2013 04:18 PM      Profile for duktalkr   Email duktalkr   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bake the duck in paper with herbs and butter for 2 hours. When done dump the duck and eat the paper.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"There's no place that I'd rather be than right here with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon Beer!"

Posts: 4848 | From: Lee Enfield, New Hampster | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Roscollian
Member # 120

Member Rated:
posted November 10, 2013 05:06 PM      Profile for Roscollian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, first you make a roux...

--------------------
At one time, it was well understood that adversity taught valuable lessons, which reduce the probability of repeating foolish decisions. But, today, the welfare state shields people from the consequences of their own mistakes, allowing irresponsibility to continue and to flourish among ever wider circles of people.
- Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3419 | From: South of I-10 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
duckdawg
Administrator
Member # 21

Member Rated:
posted November 10, 2013 07:17 PM      Profile for duckdawg     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My youngest boy shot a ring neck as his first duck. We roasted it and it was pretty tasty. Guess it depends on what they have been eating.

--------------------
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. -- P.J. O'Rourke,

Posts: 15638 | From: Side of a hill | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Michgndr
Member # 39

Member Rated:
posted November 10, 2013 08:09 PM      Profile for Michgndr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Don't skimp on the seasoning. Everything is better with bacon, even bacon.

--------------------
We call him JM. You probably know him as Jo' Mama.

Posts: 9408 | From: All Over Michigan | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
CB
Member # 5

Member Rated:
posted November 11, 2013 08:28 AM      Profile for CB   Author's Homepage   Email CB   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Roscollian is right, first you make a roux....

If those Daffy ducks are from Salton Sea or that place up the road from me, smell them. If they smell nasty I would soak them in either Coke, coffee, or buttermilk.

--------------------
I don't need no shocker collar, I got a boat paddle.

Posts: 3063 | From: PRK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twig
Member # 26

Member Rated:
posted November 11, 2013 10:53 AM      Profile for Twig     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Soak in salt water for a few hours. Grill with seasoning, and add BBQ just before taken off grill. Or skip the BBQ sauce and wrap in bacon while grilling.

--------------------
Poppa Twig

Posts: 1450 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
swamp gas
Member # 781

Member Rated:
posted November 11, 2013 11:43 AM      Profile for swamp gas     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine made some scrumptious gumbo out of Poule d'eau (coot), after excising the nastiness. She put them in a bowl, added a fifth of dark red wine (a cheap pinot noir, I believe) and added enough water to cover them (we had killed a bunch). She marinated them in the wine/water solution for about 24 hours, give or take. Then she drained the birds well, and then marinated them in milk for another 24 hours. THEN she made a roux and followed her always great gumbo recipe.

If it works for coots, it ought to work for ringnecks.

--------------------
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours? The searchers all say they'd have made Whitefish Bay, if they'd put 15 more miles behind her."

- Gordon Lightfoot

Posts: 4287 | From: Indian Switch | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | waterfowler.net